When you think of a grapefruit diet, you may think that it’s a diet of only grapefruit. However this is far from the truth; you need to in fact eat various foods for the diet to succeed. Like any diet, you can lose weight while on the grapefruit diet if you follow healthy eating habits and follow a regular exercise program.
There are in fact some rules to follow for higher chances of success with the diet.
- You should follow the right food combinations. For example, a meal of bacon with salads helps burn fats. So if you omit one food group from your diet, you only end up sabotaging your diet.
- Like any other diet, water has a very important role in the success of the diet. You need to drink at least 64 ounces of water every day to lose weight.
- Those successful with the grapefruit diet promote being careful with your caffeine intake. You should take no more than a cup a meal as too much of caffeine can affect the body’s fat burning process and insulin balance.
- You actually have to eat right to lose weight with this diet. In fact, you need to double your vegetable and meat intake for each meal.
- Though you have to eat well, you shouldn’t cheat and eat between meals. With such a large variety of foods to choose from and eat, there shouldn’t actually be any reason for you to cheat during the diet!
- The specialty of the grapefruit diet is that you have to actually eat more to lose more weight. You just have to be careful to eat only the right foods, and avoid eating the wrong foods.
- Of course, while you can eat larger amounts of meats and vegetables, it’s important you eliminate sweet potatoes, desserts, breads and white vegetables from your diet.
- If you look at the good side of the grapefruit diet; though you have to give up some delicious foods, you are permitted to use butter in vegetables and while cooking while on the diet.
- While grapefruit juice plays an integral part in the diet, it’s important that you drink the exact amount of juice or grapefruit suggested. Even if you don’t like the fruit much, you need to drink/eat that much of the fruit and its juice as it helps in the fat burning process.
- Grapefruit diet shouldn’t be followed continuously. You need to stick to the diet for about 12 days, and then leave it for two days and restart the diet again after the two-day rest.
- The good foods to eat on the diet are red onions, coleslaw, green vegetables like cucumber, green beans and leaf spinach, carrots, chili without beans, radishes, tomatoes, fish, cottage cheese, lean meats, hot dogs, fish, tuna, pork chops, chicken, bacon, regular salad dressing, eggs, squash, condiments and spices like ketchup, pepper, salt, soy sauce and herbs and of course, grapefruit
- The foods you cannot eat are celery, peas, jam, starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn, desserts, peanut butter, jam, chips, cereal, low-fat salad dressing, pretzels and pasta.
Follow these 12 tips, and you will be able to successfully lose weight while on the grapefruit diet!